Family and Community Health Sciences (FCHS) helps people stay healthy, enjoy life, be active, and reduce health care costs. Many of today’s health problems—obesity, heart disease, diabetes, and cancer—can be reduced through good nutrition and a healthy life style. FCHS encourages today’s busy families and individuals to learn more and make personal choices to improve health through research and practical advice.
FCHS Outreach Focuses On:
- Nutrition, Health and Lifestyle
- Food Safety
- Family Wellness
- Workplace Wellness
- School Wellness
Initiatives & Programs
- Get Moving Get Healthy NJ: encourages a healthy lifestyle, especially healthy eating and physical activity, through educational programs.
- Functional Foods for Life: A functional food is defined as ‘one that has a potential benefit on health when consumed as part of a varied diet.’ This series of six interactive programs focuses on a variety of functional foods and their specific health benefits. Each program also offers a unique tasting component.
- School Wellness: School wellness programs provide a range of support services to promote healthy school environments which include but are not limited to workshops and presentations for parents, staff, and students about school wellness policies, supplemental nutrition education in the classroom and beyond, and ways to reinforce health promotion messages from home to school.
- Featuring: 21st Century Community Learning School Grant
- Additional Programs, Seminars and Presentations for Consumers and Groups
FCHS Publications & Visions
Volunteer Opportunities in Monmouth County
Can you give us a few hours? Care to share your health, wellness or nutrition expertise with fellow Monmouth County residents? Are you a college student in need of pre-professional experience in the fields of public health, nutrition education, community outreach or education? The rewards are large; your commitment can be as big or little as youre able to give.
Contact the FCHS department if you are interested in volunteering.
The Family & Community Health Sciences staff thanks you for visiting our website.
|Rachel Tansey||Senior FCHS Extension Associate|
|Cathy Van Benschoten||FCHS Secretary|
Cooperative Extension of Monmouth County
Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station
Family & Community Health Sciences Department
4000 Kozloski Rd.
P. O. Box 5033
Freehold, NJ 07728-5033
E-mail: FCHS Department
Hours: Monday–Friday, 9 a.m.–4:30 p.m.
Phone: 732-431-7260, ext. 7271